My photo
Ulverston, The Lake District, United Kingdom
South Lakeland is beautiful part of England. This is my corner where i can post my poems and photos and also write about walks. This is also a place where i can air my veiws and opinions.

Sunday 23 May 2010

Elephants and Coconut




May 20th 2010
Rampside, Barrow in Furness
This was one of those days where I jumped in the car with no idea where I was going, then found myself in a place I’m glad I went to!

Ramside is a lovely part of Furness, and on this occasion I decided to go inland rather than along the coast, so I followed the lovely path that takes you around the Gas Terminal. The bridleway was awash with colour and buzzing with activity, Hawthorn flowers are now opening; I love the scent from these beautiful white flowers on a warm sunny day.

Dandelions are already going to seed, their fluffy round heads waiting for a breeze or the passing of an animal, like us, to set their seeds into the air.

The path edges are at their best right now, this time of year they look wonderful in, pink, yellow, blue and white. Pink Campion, Meadow Buttercup, Lesser Celandine, Bluebell, Bush Vetch, Common Vetch, Cuckooflower and Greater Stitchwort, all giving a perfect colourful display as they all flower together at the bottom of our hedges.

Cow Parsley is also starting to flower now; this is a tall fast growing plant of about 2-3’ with many small white flowers all carried together on an umbel. I read once that this plant is a natural Mosquito repellent when applied to the skin, though I have never tried it myself, but I am tempted as I am always being bitten.

St Marks Flies were everywhere today, these large black flies drift about with dangling legs. They are completely harmless and actually quite attractive, especially the males who have bulbous eyes.

Along the way is a pond, set amongst the shade of the surrounding trees, this is a nice place to rest and observe the different environment here. A family of Moorhens had nested on the edge of the reeds; five chicks sat patiently waiting for their parents to bring food and encourage these chicks to forage for themselves.
Bluetit, Willow Warbler, Blackcap, Sedge Warbler, Reed Bunting and Mallard were also seen and heard in this area.

The path finally emerges out on the shore, where the lovely yellow flowers of Bird’s foot trefoil were abundant. Sea Campion, Scurvy Grass and Thrift were also flowering along the shore. Then I found the star of the show, an Elephant Hawk Moth that appeared to be resting amongst the grass on the sandy shore. These moths have very unusual colours, being green and pink and having white legs makes them look very odd and yet very beautiful, who says moths are ugly?

I cannot end this without mentioning the Gorse that is flowering around the coast right now, the yellow flowers not only look stunning on a sunny day, the smell incredible too. The flowers smell of coconut and can be detected from quite a distance from the bush as the scent drifts on the breeze, and make these shrubs an absolutely delightful treasure, and the bees love them too.

No comments:

Post a Comment